ESIP Software Assessment Guidelines
Welcome to ESIP's draft research code/software assessment guidelines.
This site and associated repository contains the guidelines document and other related documents. This version of the guidelines is under review as Version 1 with no plans for revisions through July 2017. For any planned revisions, please see the LaTeX version provided below.
- Executive Summary provided to the Programming Committee and Assembly, Spring/Summer 2017.
- 2016 draft with hypothes.is comments. This version will not be updated or maintained. (PDF version)
- 2016 References and Bibliography draft with hypothes.is comments. This version will not be updated or maintained. (PDF version)
- Use cases collected during ESIP Summer Meeting 2016 sessions
- LaTeX Documents:
- Additional References: BibLatex | Zotero group
Thank you to all who participated in the draft process throughout 2016.
Comments and suggestions are still welcome (though perhaps not acted upon at this time); however, we do ask that you consider the following before commenting:
- This is not intended to be an academic paper. We are focusing on developing guidelines that are accessible to principle investigators as the stakeholder group serving as intermediaries between funding agency requirements and project participants. As such, we are intentionally providing current examples and current terminology in the guidance. Removing that terminology can obscure the concept that hinders readers from searching for and finding relevant information. It is our opinion that this does not serve any of the stakeholders well.
- The guidelines are programming language-agnostic. We will not consider feedback that promotes one language (or one language community's philosophy) over any or all others.
- If suggesting a new guideline, consider those that are inspectable to an external party. We are aware of the limitations of this statement and will consider suggestions that support good, but uninspectable, development practices, with explanation.
To comment, please use one of the following options, in order of preference: